jim (dot) kalbach (at) gmail (dot) com
Jersey City, NJ
Innovative design leader who inspires teams to deliver business results
Versatile designer with comprehensive, hands-on experience in digital product development. Noted author, speaker, and instructor in ux design. Fluent in German. Areas of expertise:
Information Architecture, Interaction Design & UI Design | Agile & Lean Methodologies | User Research, Ethnography & User Testing | Teaching, Mentoring & Team Development | Presenting, Facilitating & Writing | Strategy & Innovation
Principal UX Designer - Citrix – 10/12-2/15
- Managed and mentored teams of designers, elevating product quality.
- Translated customer needs into world class designs and ensured timely delivery
- Created strategies with senior leaders for the GoTo product suite.
- Facilitated executive-level meetings and workshops, increasing internal alignment.
Principal UX Strategist, USEEDS°, Berlin, Germany – 9/11-10/12
- Consulted large international clients such as eBay and Monster on effective strategies.
- Created product concepts and detailed designs product delivery.
- Leveraged design-led innovation techniques, identifying growth opportunities.
- Developed internal processes, improving effectiveness of resources.
- Established new office in Hamburg, assisting to expand the firm.
Experience Design Consultant, LexisNexis, Hamburg, Germany – 4/03–8/11
Consulted international business units on product design, customer experience, strategy, and innovation in various roles including:
Design and Innovation Lead, New Lexis Program, LexisNexis International – 6/10-8/11
- Created process for customer discovery and innovation
- Managed pipeline of ideas based on customer insight
- Prototyped MVPs for validation
Lead Ethnographer, LexisNexis International – 8/09-2/10
- Developed company-wide ethnographic research capability.
- Supervised ethnographic studies, promoting market insight.
- Conducted workshops, identifying business opportunities.
User Experience Architect, Knowledge Discovery, Elsevier Science – 1/09-6/09
- Defined design direction for a new platform.
- Collaborated with developers on complex applications.
- Performed research and testing, validating designs.
Design Standards Committee, LexisNexis – 1/08-6/08
- Defined company-wide design guidelines.
- Established competitor design review practice.
- Institutionalized standards, enhancing quality assurance.
Project Lead for Product Design, Harcourt Educational Testing – 2/07-9/07
- Led team of 6 ux designers for project delivery.
- Managed scope, dependencies, and quality of deliverables.
- Liaised with offshore engineering, developing application.
Head of Information Architecture - Razorfish Germany – 2/00-3/03
- Created and presented information architecture, navigation, and designs to clients.
- Led projects for international clients including Audi, Hypovereinsbank.
- Developed tools, techniques, and processes for project delivery.
- Hired, managed, and trained ia
Research Specialist - I-D Media, Hamburg – 4/98-1/00
- Developed leads worldwide for new business.
- Pitched to large, international companies to win accounts.
- Delivered projects for VW, SONY Europe, Swatch and others.
- Founded new Usability Department, creating key resource group for the firm.
Library Associate - Rutgers Music Library – 8/94-4/98
- Provided reference assistance and general public service
- Conducted bibliographic instruction workshops
- Trained and supervised staff of 15+ student workers
- Catalogued music scores in standard formats (MARC, AACR2)
- Oversaw circulation and maintenance of collections and archive
Lecturer - Music Department, Rutgers University – 9/93-5/95
- Taught music course to 35-40 undergraduates
- Designed and graded all assignments and exams
- Created course proficiencies and implemented grading policies
- 5/97 M.L.S., School of Communication, Information and Library Sciences, Rutgers
- 5/95 M.A. in Music Theory and Composition, Graduate School, Rutgers
- 5/90 B.A. in Music and in Communication, Rutgers
- Rosenfeld Media Expert: rosenfeldmedia.com/expert/jim-kalbach
- Active speaker and instructor at major ux events worldwide
- Co-chair of Euro Information Architecture conferences (2004-2012)
- Founder of the IA Konferenz series and Institut für IA in Germany