jim (dot) kalbach (at) gmail (dot) com
Jersey City, NJ
Innovative design leader who inspires teams to deliver business results
Versatile Designer with comprehensive experience digital product development. Noted author, speaker, and instructor in ux design. Fluent in German. Areas of expertise:
Information Architecture, Interaction Design & ui Design | Strategy & Innovation | User Research, Ethnography & User Testing | Teaching, Mentoring & Team Development | Presenting, Facilitating & Writing | Agile & Lean Methodologies
Principal UX Designer - Citrix – 10/12-2/15
- Created strategies with senior leaders for the GoTo product suite.
- Facilitated executive-level meetings and workshops, increasing internal alignment.
- Translated customer needs into world class designs, creating maximum business value.
- Mentored and inspired colleagues, elevating product quality.
Principal UX Strategist, USEEDS°, Berlin, Germany – 9/11-10/12
- Consulted large international clients such as eBay and Monster on effective strategies.
- Created product concepts and detailed designs product delivery.
- Leveraged design-led innovation techniques, identifying growth opportunities.
- Developed internal processes, improving effectiveness of resources.
- Established new office in Hamburg, assisting to expand the firm.
Experience Design Consultant, LexisNexis, Hamburg, Germany – 4/03–8/11
Consulted international business units on product design, customer experience, strategy, and innovation in various roles including:
Design and Innovation Lead, New Lexis Program, LexisNexis International – 6/10-8/11
- Created process for customer discovery and innovation
- Managed pipeline of ideas based on customer insight
- Prototyped MVPs for validation
Lead Ethnographer, LexisNexis International – 8/09-2/10
- Developed company-wide ethnographic research capability.
- Supervised ethnographic studies, promoting market insight.
- Conducted workshops, identifying business opportunities.
User Experience Architect, Knowledge Discovery, Elsevier Science – 1/09-6/09
- Defined design direction for a new platform.
- Collaborated with developers on complex applications.
- Performed research and testing, validating designs.
Design Standards Committee, LexisNexis – 1/08-6/08
- Defined company-wide design guidelines.
- Established competitor design review practice.
- Institutionalized standards, enhancing quality assurance.
Project Lead for Product Design, Harcourt Educational Testing – 2/07-9/07
- Led team of 6 ux designers for project delivery.
- Managed scope, dependencies, and quality of deliverables.
- Liaised with offshore engineering, developing application.
Head of Information Architecture - Razorfish Germany – 2/00-3/03
- Hired, managed, and trained IA team.
- Presented information architecture, navigation, and designs to clients.
- Led projects for international clients including Audi, Hypovereinsbank.
- Developed tools, techniques and processes for project delivery.
Research Specialist - I-D Media, Hamburg – 4/98-1/00
- Developed leads worldwide for new business.
- Pitched to large, international companies to win accounts.
- Delivered projects for VW, SONY Europe, Swatch and others.
- Founded new Usability Department, creating key resource group for the firm.
Library Associate - Rutgers Music Library – 8/94-4/98
- Provided reference assistance and general public service
- Conducted bibliographic instruction workshops
- Trained and supervised staff of 15+ student workers
- Catalogued music scores in standard formats (MARC, AACR2)
- Oversaw circulation and maintenance of collections and archive
Lecturer - Music Department, Rutgers University – 9/93-5/95
- Taught music course to 35-40 undergraduates
- Designed and graded all assignments and exams
- Created course proficiencies and implemented grading policies
- 5/97 M.L.S., School of Communication, Information and Library Sciences, Rutgers
- 5/95 M.A. in Music Theory and Composition, Graduate School, Rutgers
- 5/90 B.A. in Music and in Communication, Rutgers
- Rosenfeld Media Expert: rosenfeldmedia.com/expert/jim-kalbach
- Active speaker and instructor at major ux events worldwide
- Co-chair of Euro Information Architecture conferences (2004-2012)
- Founder of the IA Konferenz series and Institut für IA in Germany