With small groups each day, these workshops proved to be lively and interactive. The discussions were mutually helpful to everyone in the room–include me! Thanks to all that attended.
I’m not planning on returning to Sydney anytime soon, but if I do we’d like to run these workshops again.
Here is participant feedback:
- @missheather396 (Heather Connell) wrote this tweet:
“Attended a very valuable Web Navigation workshop today run my @JamesKalbach – not a boring moment to be found for the whole day :)”
- Steven Briffa at Macquarie University, NSW, Australia made these comments:
“James delivers a range of highly valuable and relevant strategies in his workshops in a clear, friendly and engaging manner. You’ll walk away feeling motivated and inspired to put them into use.”
- Another student wrote:
“The workshop was a great eye-opener on making the most out of simple techniques in the creative process.”
Below is the original announcement with course description
I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to give 2 UX workshops in Sydney, Australia this April. Below is a brief outline of the topics and details. Also see the event website, where you can also register if you’re in the area.
Sydney has a thriving UX scene, and I’m glad to be able to contribute to the community.
WORKSHOP 1: Information Architecture for Strategic Web Design
Thursday 28 April 2011, 9:30-17:00
This workshop focuses on the conceptual and strategic side of information architecture (IA). Topics include:
- Alignment diagrams, customer journey maps, and their role in IA
- Concept maps
- Cores and Paths–a technique to conceptualise your website from the inside out
- Information structures and facets
WORKSHOP 2: Web Navigation Design
Friday 29 April 2011, 9:30-17:00
This workshop focuses on the nuts and bolts of good navigation design. Topics include:
- Principles of web navigation
- Navigation mechanisms and types of navigation
- The scent of information
- Faceted navigation
LOCATION: Both workshops will be held at the Portside Centre, just a few blocks from the Wynyard rail station in Sydney’s CBD. See more about the location.
COST: The regular price of each workshop is AUD 759 (inc. GST). There are two ways to get a discount:
- Register before April 2 and pay only AUD 660 per workshop (inc. GST).
- Sign up for both workshops and get a one-time reduction of AUD 70.
The workshop fees include lunch and coffee breaks each day.
See the registration details page for more information and to sign up.
Audience for all workshops:
- Beginner to intermediate web designers, including interaction designers, graphic designers, and information architects
- Usability experts looking to improve web design skills
- Project managers, product mangers, and others working in related roles seeking to better understand web navigation design, who also have some experience creating websites.